Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Prensky Article (from an art educator's point of view)

It seems like Prensky's concerns would be diminishing a bit, as those of us who were still in school at that time were able to catch the wave of technology that happened since then. Digital Natives are now old enough to be in high school. I had just started grad school in 2001.

I may technically be an immigrant, but I feel like I moved to this country while I was still pliant enough to learn the language at a near-native level.  I feel lucky that I can still relate to orderly, slow information (though less an less) and feel my own brain wandering, moving faster, looking for quick asides, or just wanting to "tinker"  as I learn or explore instead of listen to someone else's slide show. I wonder if sometimes I among the last of the "translators" between the DI and the DN by the mere fact that I was in my early 20s when the shift happened.

I feel that visual culture is what I explore with students as part of my subject area, and of course that is now largely digital. I am interested in how they consume media, but also how they perceive it and can respond to it. I think that masterfully produced art media and contemporary art (videos, apps, animations, interactive experiences) are going to be the lifeblood of my work with young artists as time continues. I'll need to stay connected to what is current and not rely on old lessons, old goals, or old approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment